After writing My Favorite Words, I found myself compelled to look for more. I only knew three of the words previously; the rest are new and silly sounding words, some roll off the tongue, and others, when said out loud, completely make sense! You can find more info at Dictionary-Reference although I have included the short definition, plus my personal comment about what the word says to me.
In no particular order…
- doohickey: a gadget; dingus; thingumbob.
Maybe you have also never heard of a thingumbob..sometimes called a thingymabob, or a thingy..or a doowhatsit
- hullabaloo: a confused noise; uproar.
Tiggers are wonderful things, ha ha!
- hobbledehoy: an awkward, gawky young fellow.
Who hobbles on de hoy anyway.
- gewgaw: a trinket; a bauble.
Sheldon from Big Bang, he might use this word.
- brobdingnagian: gigantic; enormous.
Self explanatory. Too big to handle.
- susurrus: a whispering or rustling sound.
When you say this one out loud, it reminds me of Harry Potter and the snake…sssss, rustle, rustle..
- pusillanimous: cowardly.
He is a pussy pill and a..mouse
- flummery: mumbo jumbo; nonsense.
- flibbertigibbet: a silly, flighty, or excessively talkative person.
Who should be stuffed and cooked at Christmas.
- grok: to understand.
I grok, do you grok? We all grok together.